Idea for this sandwich cake came from this year’s Lidl‘s Christmas magazine. This dish was on the cover and we decided to give it a try. As you can see, it turned out great and was tasty as well!
Ingredients for Salmon Sandwich Cake
- 500 g (1 lbs) of cold smoked salmon – salmón ahumado
- 2 dl (1 cup) of mayonnaise
- 2 dl (1 cup) of peeled shrimps – langostinos
- 1 spring onion – cebollita
- 2 eggs – huevos
- 6 slices of toast – pan tostada
- 5 tablespoons of capers – alcaparras
- sea salt – sal marina
- ground black pepper – pimienta negra
- dill for garnishing – eneldo
- 1 lemon for garnishing – limón
- a punch of arugula for garnishing – rúcula
- a splash of olive oil – aceite oliva
First make the mayonnaise. Chop spring onions. If the shrimps are very big, cut them in half, too. Mix them with the mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Boil the eggs (5-6 minute eggs work fine).
Splash some olive oil on to the mold (a plastic container will do fine) and spread the oil evenly throughout the edges. This makes removing the cake from the mold easier.
Place layers of smoked salmon all over the mold. Leave edges hanging outside of the mold.Remove the crust from the toast slices. Cut them so that they fit into the mold. Place the ingredients on top of the salmon in the following order:
- mayonnaise mixture
- egg slices
- 2 tablespoons of capers
Turn the salmon edges on top of the last layer of bread and seal the lid. Let it rest in the fridge for 2 hours before serving. Garnish with capers, slices of lemon, arugula and dill.