This dish combines Northern European and Southern European flavors. Smoked fish is very popular in the Nordic Countries while fresh salads can be found from Mediterranean area. However, the combination works very well together and this makes a wonderful and healthy meal, if you have a smoker. If not, the fish can be cooked in the oven, too.
Ingredients for Mediterranean Potato Salad for 4 Servings
- 0,5 kg (1 lbs) of small potatoes – patatas pequeños
- a handful of arugula – rúcula
- 2 dl of chopped chives – cebollinos
- 2-3 tablespoons of capers – alcaparras
- 1 dl (1/2 cup) of green olives – aceitunas verdes
- a pinch of sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper – pimienta negra
- 1 lemon
- pickled onions (optional) – escabeche de cebolla
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil – aceite de oliva
- 2 sherry vinegar – vinagre de Jerez
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard – mostaza Dijon
- 2 cloves of garlic – dientes de ajo
- 2 tablespoons of honey – miel
Cook the potatoes in salty water. Let them cool before mixing into the salad.
Toss arugula, chopped chives, capers and olives into a large bowl. If you happen to have pickled onions, you can add those, too. Grate the lemon zest into the salad and squeeze half a lemon there, too. Add potatoes and mix well.
For dressing mix olive oil, sherry vinegar (use Spanish Jerez vinegar, if available), Dijon mustard, minced garlic, the other half of the lemon juice and honey. Season with salt and pepper and check the taste. Add the dressing into the salad and mix well.
Ingredients for Smoked Sea Bass for 4 Servings
- 1 sea bass gutted, about 1 kg (2 lbs) – lubina
- sea salt – sal marina
- ground white pepper – pimienta blanca
Remove the the head and dry the fish throughout. Make some cuts to both sides of the fish so that salt, pepper and smoke can enter in the meat. Season with salt and pepper and put it into hot smoker (about 180 ºC, 350 ºF) for 30 minutes.