This is absolutely one of our favorite pasta of all time! We make this at least 2-3 times a month and since it is easy to make, it never fails. If you are fond of mussels, give this a try. We guarantee you will not be disappointed!
Ingredients for Mussels for 4 Servings
- 1 kg (2 pounds) of mussels – mejillones
- A splash of olive oil – aceite de oliva
- 1 shallot – chalote
- 1 glass of white wine – vino blanco
- 2 sprigs of rosemary – ramas de romero
Wash and debeard the mussels. Also check that they are alive by knocking them on the table. If a mussel stays open, throw it away – it’s dead.
Pour a splash of olive oil along with finely chopped shallot and thyme in a sauce pan. Put in on high heat. When the onions are soft, add a glass of white wine and bring to boil. Add the mussels and cover with lid. This way the white wine steam will cook the mussels! Shake the pan after couple of minutes. Remove the pan from the heat when most of the mussels are open. Don’t wait until the last one of them is open, because there might be some dead ones and you’d destroy the soft structure of those which are fine. Put the mussels on the side to wait for the tagliatelle.
Ingredients for Spicy Tagliatelle for 4 Servings
- 400 g (15 oz) of tagliatelle – pasta tagliatelle
- splash of extra virgin olive oil – aceite olive extra virgen
- 4 sprigs of thyme – ramas de tomillo
- 1/2 leek (green part, too) – puerra
- 1 chili – pimienta picante
- 1 can of artichoke hearts – alcachofa
- 1 lemon – limón
- 2 dl (1 cups) of grated parmesan cheese – parmesano rallado
- ground black pepper – pimienta negra
- sea salt – sal marina
Cook the pasta al dente. We prefer making fresh pasta from scratch, but you can use whatever pasta you like. While the pasta is cooking, you can cook the sauce. Put a sauce pan on medium heat. Cook thyme leaves, chopped leek, chili and artichoke hearts until they are soft. Squeeze lemon juice on the pan and season with salt and pepper. Add cooked tagliatelle, mussels and half of the grated parmesan cheese. Stir carefully and serve on the plates. Use rest of the parmesan to garnish the dishes.