After Christmas dishes people enjoy having something lighter for dinner. Salad is an obvious choice, but can you make a salad taste good and still be nutritious without being too heavy?
One of our favorite salad is a flank (or skirt) steak salad. Flank steak is a wonderful cut for grilling, because the meat is marbled with little bit of fat making it juicy and moist, yet it’s a lean cut. And that marbling brings all the aromas from grilling into the meat making it very tasty. Therefore it doesn’t need much seasoning except salt and pepper. No marinating, no fancy sauces. And it’s a cheap cut, too!
Ingredients for Chili Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1 dl (1/2 cup) of extra virgin olive oil – aceite de oliva virgen extra
- juice of 1 lime – zumo de lima
- 1 chili – pimiento picante
- 1 red bell paprika – pimiento rojo
- a punch of cilantro – cilantro
- 1 clove of garlic – diente de ajo
- a pinch of sea salt – sal marina
Chop cilantro leaves, garlic, chili and bell paprika fine. Combine with rest of the ingredients and season with salt to taste. Let the dressing rest in the fridge while making the salad and steak.
Ingredients for Flank Steak Salad for 4 Servings
- 1 whole flank steak – entraña
- sea salt – sal marina
- ground black pepper – pimienta negra
- salad leaves of your choice – hojas de ensalada
- 1 sweet onion – cebolla dulce
First prepare the flank steak. Remove the membranes from the steak. You can use a paper towel to get a good grip of the membrane. Season with salt and pepper. Grill 3 minutes per side on high heat and let it rest on a cutting board while preparing the salad.
Wash and dry the salad. Cut the onion into half-rings. Mix with the salad and toss on the plates. Scoop a few tablespoons of dressing on top.
Slice the steak into 1 cm (1/2″) cuts and place on top of the salads.