Ajo Blanco, also known as white gazpacho, is a traditional Málaga area cold soup. You can find it in many restaurants as a starter. After testing several recipes this is by far the best one we have found. Garlic soup is usually served cold in Spain, but this version is best served hot.
Ingredients for Spanish Garlic Soup for 4 Servings
- 4 tablespoons of butter – mantequilla
- 1 leek – puerra
- 1 chili – pimiento picante
- 2 whole garlics, about 20-25 cloves – ajo
- 1,5 l (6 cups) chicken stock – caldo de pollo
- 1 glass of white wine – vino blanco
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs.) of potatoes – patatas
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt – sal marina
- a handful of chopped parsley – perejil
- 2 dl (1 cup) of heavy cream – nata cocina
- a handful of croutons – crutones
- grated Manchego cheese – queso Manchego
Mince leek, parsley, garlic and chili. Melt the butter in a sauce pan and fry leek, garlic cloves and chili for couple of minutes. Add white wine, chicken stock, potatoes and parsley. Bring to boil and let it simmer for 45 minutes. Use stick blender to make silky smooth structure. Add the cream and bring to boil again. Add little butter to give the soup nice gloss. Serve with the croutons, grated cheese and chopped garlic stems or leek.